Sunday, November 10, 2013

...The Unveiling, and Our Day in Court





...following three months of construction, the family basement is finally resembling the image of an entertainment area worth boasting of.  

New flooring, new drywall, new plumbing in the bathroom, a fresh coat of paint, and a forest green sectional to wrap the room up nicely.  It cradled two adults, two teens, and two 'tweeners with room to spare for last evening's Saturday night flick ;)

Not pictured is my future desk area, which is still in the works...but getting there.  And yes, when complete, I'll most definitely share the goods.

I'll use the basement project as my excuse for not participating in this year's NaNo, but honestly that had nothing to do with it.  I've written some fine fodder under far greater duress in my days.  

Nope, the real reason for my NaNo NoShow was wrapped around November 6th, 7th, and the upcoming 12th.  For those are, and will be our days in court for the custody battle over that little boy who first visited our home at four days old...and thus far, remains under our roof.  

Regarding the first two days...testimony rolled on as expected, all witnesses arrived on time, cordially made their statements, and were duly thanked for their participation.  

My wife and I took the stand on day 1, were asked questions that we were expecting, and were prepared to answer.  

The highlight of the day, coming when my wife was on the stand... "can the little boy in question speak yet, at fourteen months old?"

"Yes, Ma'am, he's been talking for some time now."

"What are some of the words he can say?"

"Typical baby talk, mostly.  Dadda, Momma, Sissy, Bubba, Doggie, he meow's for kitty, and can say my son's name, Dylan, as well as you and I."

"When he says, Momma, or Dadda, who is he referring to?"

"My husband and I."

"If you were to be sitting in a room with the baby's birth parents, and he was asked to go to his mommy and daddy, who would he go to?"

"My husband and I," spoken without hesitation.

"Just one more question, Mrs. Grace.  If given the opportunity, is your family prepared to adopt the child in question?"

...deep breath, exhale.  "Absolutely.  We are all he knows, we'd be lost without each other..."

...the case will wrap up on Tuesday...I'll be in touch.

Thanks for reading ;)

El

8 comments:

DEZMOND said...

love the green sectional, El!

dolorah said...

Love the basement/family room. Good work.

You know I'm thinking of you for your court proceedings El. I'm sure it will all go your way. Thinking happy, positive thoughts.

.......dhole

Anne Gallagher said...

First, I love your new room. Nicely done, sir.

Next, OMG, I can't believe the adoption is here so fast. My heart is with yours and your family's. I know that baby will be coming home with you for always.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I'll be praying that the court proceedings end in your favor. Nice entertainment room. What was the movie you watched Saturday night?

Elliot Grace said...

Hey Dez, thanks, she's a brute!

Hey Donna, love your confidence and hoping it's contagious ;)

Hey Anne, let us collectively keep our fingers crossed. Thanks Anne for stopping by!

Hey Roland, the movie was Pacific Rim, somewhat of a glorified, modern day Godzilla. Big monsters, bigger robots, bigger fun, or so my kids insist ;)

El

Suze said...

'I've written some fine fodder under far greater duress in my days.'

I like the way you word this.

Elliot, I see that tomorrow is the day. Your family are in my prayers.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Hi El, stopping by to see what's up. Love the new family room and wondering how the case went. I pray well, holding my breath!

Merry Christmas, my friend.

~ That Rebel, Olivia

The Words Crafter said...

Oh, I really hope things went your way! (Loving the basement, btw)

Merry Christmas to you and your family!